New Webinar Series for Forestland Managers Begins November 1
The University of Wisconsin Stevens Point is presenting a free monthly webinar series called Prescribed Fire for Forest Management. The sessions will be held monthly on select Wednesdays from 8:30-10:00 AM.
Foresters and land managers have many forest management tools at their disposal. One tool that’s often overlooked is prescribed fire. Though underutilized, prescribed fire is important for ecosystem health, forest regeneration, wildlife habitat, forest health, and disease control. Join us for insightful discussions with national experts as we discuss forest management using prescribed fire. Learn some of the practical knowledge of where, when, why, and how to apply fire in forest ecosystems.
This webinar series will explore several facets of prescribed fire related to forests and forest management. We have invited speakers to provide their perspectives and offer advice on how we can advance prescribed fire as a forest management tool in the future.
Forest Management topics include:
- November 1, 2023 – Oak and Fire in the Eastern U.S.
- December 6, 2023 – Fire in Northern Pine Systems
- January 3, 2024 – Fire in Southern Pine Systems
- February 7, 2024 – Prescribed Fire as a Restoration Tool for Barrens
- March 6, 2024 – Fire and Traditional Ecological Knowledge in Lake States
- April 3, 2024 – Fire and Traditional Ecological Knowledge Beyond the Lake States
- May 1, 2024 – Fire and Game Species
- June 5, 2024 – Prescribed Fire in Urban Landscapes
- July 10, 2024 – Fire and Climate Change
- August 7, 2024 – Case Studies: Prescribed Fire and Red Pine
- September 4, 2024 – Case Studies: Prescribed Fire and Interfering Vegetation
- October 2, 2024 – Workforce Development
Click here to register for any or all of the sessions.
Our prescribed fire page is a great starting point for learning about using “good fire” to manage your land.